Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Back from Boston

Just got back yesterday from our trip to the Boston area. It was a much awaited trip for my husband as he was catching up with his dear friends from his Masters days in Kansas. This was my third meeting with most of them which I must say was eventful err quite eventful.

Being the descriptive myself..the trip started off with us landing at JFK , NY. After waiting patiently for our bags to arrive I could see amusing people in different attires and funky hairdos walking past by and who will easily come under my mothers so called "mutant" category. I said to myself "Welcome to New York". After getting our bags out we started our road trip towards Boston. My husbands friends were kind enough to let us ride down to Boston area along with them. This is my second time in New York city which looked even more fabulous now , there is so much energy and vibrancy about this city that always love to come back here. After we crossed New York the roads got deserted and everything around us started to look a bit queer. Night drives are not new to us there were times back in good old Tallahassee when used to drive around 3am in the morning. After a driving for about 4 hours we finally arrived in the Boston or more rightly to Waltham a suburb near Boston.

As soon as we got down the car , few of my husbands friends were waiting for us downstairs , I could see his eyes light up, unmindful of my presence he headed upstairs to meet and greet his friends. Feeling of being left out was suffusing me, which stayed with me through out the trip. But this was his trip and I wanted him to have that opportunity. After the initial greet and meet me and two other girls were packed off to a near by hotel while we left the guys do their thing. I was catching up with one of the girls who is now married to my husbands friend. I have known her from my husbands student days back in Kansas. The other girl was married to another friend of my husbands so it was kinda getting back to Masters days spending time with girls of my age.

After a wake up call we got dressed and were received by our respective husbands outside and we headed out to some site seeing in the Waltham area. Everything looked so green unlike the scenery we find here in Florida though still I love Florida. Waltham is a small town with typical story book kind of homes. The unwinding streets, houses snuggled so close to each other looked as if they were trying fight cold, the beautiful lakes and the swarming people of Waltham fascinated me. We headed out to the sculpture park it was park with some carved stones and a museum. It was getting hot and as usual I was trying to wrap myself with some papers or mags I could find. Being lighter in complexion is a big thing for girls in India and I don't think I can ever get out of that.

We got back in the evening go to get dressed for Jillian's, this was the first time I had heard that name. It was kind of a sports bar in Boston downtown. Jillian's looked like a run down downtown pub. The security guards outside looked like kids but made one of our friends go back as she didn't have her Id on her. My initial impression of this place from outside seemed completely false as soon I stepped into the place. It was a four storied building each floor dedicated to a different activity. We reached the fourth floor as they had the bowling alley in that floor. There is something technically wrong with the way I bowl. For some unknown reason the ball starts spinning the moment I let it go not sure if its a bane or a boon mostly depends on how the ball behaves.

One of my undergraduate friend lives in Boston so it was really nice to see her unmindful of the fact that I had met her few months back. But my husband and she were catching up after 5 years. Seems so strange how time runs, there are few friends and I can date their friendship to like 20 odd years. Its seems so strange, life is so amazing in its own beautiful way. We spent the rest of the evening in a desi dance club, it was the first time that I been to a "desi" club, it was real fun.

Next day morning we started towards Acadia national park in Maine. One more state I visit I said to myself. It was a long drive about six hours, I let my husband ride in a different car like I said this was his trip, meanwhile we had some jolly time in the other car, there were puzzles personal experience and being my goofy self I started to bug one of the guys to tell me how his life partner would be. It was good ride about 6 hours later we reached Acadia. After our late lunch or early supper we got to the national park. We headed towards the Cadillac mountains my initial impression was awe for these great mountains they looked so amazing. I left behind the whole group and headed towards the summit it was about 2 mins of hike. i went towards the edge of one rock ,made sure that I was not too close. I sat there for few minutes, everything looked so minuscule in front of this gigantic piece of earth. It was an experience that would remember for a very long time. As I was lost and spell bound with the beautiful site before my eyes, one of our friends asked me to shout out my husbands name, as soon I do that I could hear my husband calling my name. It was the most amazing thing ever. He was all furious as we had left the crowd behind and they were hiking on some trail. We followed them and then gathered at some mountain to watch the sunset, it was a beautiful site.

It was tradition for my husband and his friends to go over what they achieved and
what their future plans for that year will be. I felt that idea to be quite neat. So they lite up a bonfire and everyone started to talk about themselves. I felt it kind off bonded them together and truly so. Next day we went to Bar Harbor and took a ferry that went around the mountains. Almost each Mountain was owned by someone rich and famous and the tour guide was telling us stories about that. It was real real cold and I headed downstairs into the heated cabin. I have a condition,where I start developing rashes on my body when exposed to cold weather, well I have known to deal with that. It was good ride , the guide told us that the water temperature never goes over 55F, how weird coming from Florida that was the most strangest thing I could hear. I got to learn a lot about lobsters and Maine is really famous for lobsters.

We drove back to Boston the same night and spent the next two days in Waltham went around the small place which they called downtown. I enjoyed my trip to Boston and most important I have seen Massachusetts and Maine.

No comments: