Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Does my education really makes me stand out?

Did it ever occur to anyone what does education give me? Knowledge?? Of course.. but the question is how far does this knowledge take you. For most of the it ends up in a comfortable job or at least a job that can help you lead a good life. All our lives we have given exams tried to excel in them and struggled hard to work towards a prosperous career. I followed the same route that the million other Indians like me have done, picked up Computer Science as a major considering the fact that it was best Engineering branch to get into. Seemed attractive and definetely lucrative. After getting the Bachelors , what was next step just like millions other I took the route of GRE and got my Masters. What was next step now just like millions other find a good company and find a developer position just like how the masses term it "IT" job.

Looking back at the decisions I took make me ponder, may be I should say the decisions we(my parents and I) took. All my parents saw was what would get me comfortable life and only tool they knew "Education". May be all I thought was this is risk free or may be this what the smarter people do. Was education my only weapon good enough to make mark for myself in this world? No, I don't think it was, I defenitely have more talents in me than pushing a concept into my brain. Alas!! never got to realise them. All my life I thought that being smarter at studies made me superior, how wrong was I. Now I know being talented and putting that talent to the right use is the smartest thing. I started this blog to with different thoughts as I write I realised new things. Probably this just another another "Road not taken".

3 comments:

Shashi said...

Yes I agree with you. Most of the times the people around us drive us and our destiny. I share your concerns too. By the by, we are Shashi and Vidya from Fremont, CA. We were also forced into 'IT'. But we figured out how we can have fun outside 'IT' and at the same time bring the BEST out of us and lead a significant life. We are excited about our future.

I also believe that education should give the Wisdom to do the things in a better way and our degrees should not hinder our progress.

Unknown said...

Well, lemme introduce me! I got in here by window browsing. My comments might offend few and might not.

I can see that u had been dominated by ur parents in ur chidhood. Don't u think its nature? Now that u r grown big(I mean if u have used the 6th sense) its u who has to carve ur niche. Overall, its ridiculous mulling over that ur talent has been whiled out, I guess u have another half life left without ur parents ctrl. I hope u make the best out of it but I caution, routine life(expecting ur procreation) would be so busy that u dont realise u r losing time by the time u have 3 legs.
Don,t get confused between river and cutting trees! Both are equal, either of them missing is incomplete forest!!!good luck

Paul said...

Hi!!
Nice Blog this.
Nicer to know that you've realized this truth soon. you are right, this phenomenon happens in India.
but try to look at the positive side of it. you still can use your talents, no matter what your present age is.

infact, you can use all your talents and do all those thing you always wanted to do in your childhood, because you need not perfectly depend on your talents for your survival.

for a sec, imagine all that happens to most of the youth in West: they run after their dreams without giving importance to education. but later they find themselves in a rather confused and 'lost'
situation.

don't be upset about the "road not taken". if you do so, you're doubting your own decision - your own ability. don't dig past to sulk. instead learn from the past and build your future.